6.29.2008

Lettuce Soup

I just love recipes like this one that really stretch your ideas about how ingredients should be used. Who ever heard of cooking lettuce? I had a lot of it from the garden that I wanted to harvest before it got bitter, so I looked around the Internet to find recipes that use a lot of lettuce. I found a few recipes on Epicurious.com for lettuce soup - it sounded interesting and easy, so I decided to go for it.

First, I sauteed onions, (local) garlic, and a russet potato in olive oil. I added chicken stock, cooked it for about 15 minutes, and then added the greens....

Here's the lettuce and herbs before they started cooking. I used green leaf lettuce, and a little bit of sorrel, parsley, and sage, all from the garden.

It started to cook....

and cook.....

Here I am pureeing it with the hand blender.

This isn't the best picture, but this is what it looked like in the bowl with croutons and dollop of sour cream (the recipe didn't call for cream, but I figured it couldn't hurt.) It was surprisingly tasty! The texture was similar to a pureed spinach soup, but the flavor was lighter than spinach. It kept its lettuce-y flavor, which somehow worked in soup form. Definitely a great way to use up a bunch of lettuce!
share on: Facebook