6.15.2008

Bacon Wrapped Date Surprise

I decided to make these on whim last week. We have some bacon in the fridge, and we don't usually cook with bacon, and I've been trying to think of creative ways to use it. My mom and I had bacon wrapped dates last winter at Devotay, in Iowa City. (I sure hope it's not underwater right now!) It was delicious! I really liked the sweet/salty flavor combo, and I've been meaning to try it out myself ever since. First, I cut bacon into really thin strips.

I had a total of 8 dates, and I wanted Johnny and I to each have one of each filling, so I stuffed them with four different fillings: garlic, walnuts, cheddar cheese, and blue cheese. I picked those ingredients because they were what I happened to have on hand, and not for any particular gastronomic reason. I was curious to see which worked and which didn't.

I rolled them up, skewered them to hold them together, and baked them till the bacon seemed done. They were incredibly rich! I liked both the cheeses and the walnut - the cheddar was surprisingly good. The garlic was a little weird though..... I like experimenting with food like this - I'm just glad Johnny agrees to eat all the weird stuff I come up with!
share on: Facebook