4.21.2008

Carpaccio with Arugula

Yes, Carpaccio is raw beef.... I've never "cooked" raw beef before - It seemed a little risky, but since this is fresh, local, grassfed beef, I decided to go for it. -It was totally worth it!

We started with a smallish Filet Mignon. The first step is to freeze it, thaw it just a little, and cut it into slices....


The slices are put between two pieces of plastic (I didn't have any plastic wrap, so I cut up this Ziploc Bag.)

Then you pound it with a mallet. This part was way easier than I thought it would be....

Here it is pounded quite thin. The process didn't take long at all.

The pounded meat then gets rolled up in the plastic and put in the fridge to chill for an hour.

While it was chilling, I made this simple Vinaigrette - White Vinegar, Lemon Juice, Wine, Salt, Pepper, and some Chives.

And here's the Arugula! It's local now from Little River Farm in Bayside. It's really bountiful - the farmer has more than he knows what to do with!

For the finished dish, you peel the beef off the plastic, then top it with Arugula, the Vinaigrette, and Parmesan. I couldn't believe how good it was! Except for the cheese, it was completely raw!
share on: Facebook